Why Homemade Dog Food is The best Dog Food?
Food is what sustains all life forms. Whether you are a human, an animal, or an insect, you need Food to survive. And, as nature dictates, we don’t just want any Food. We want good Food.
Good Food comes in different forms. It could be vegan in nature like salads or it could also be meat depending on the method of cooking it. More importantly, good healthy Food is homemade Food.
Just like you, your Pet Dog also needs healthy Food. And yes, it is preferred that they be given homemade Food. Though the market already produces a variety of Dog Food, these may not be completely healthy because of the preservatives added during processing. In fact, there was a time when a Dog Food manufacturing company recalled their products because of a melamine-related issue. Homemade Food, on the other hand, uses fresh and natural ingredients; thus, making it really healthy.
Reasons why you should give your Dog Homemade Dog Food
1. Fresh and wholesome ingredients are used
If the Food is homemade, it is you who prepares it at home. Therefore, you are aware of what goes into the mixture. You can decide which ingredients you will mix together. Moreover, you can adjust the measurements of the elements to suit your Dog’s breed, age, weight and height.
2. No extenders and fillers
The problem with commercial and processed Dog Food is that the manufacturers need to make money and so they put in extenders and fillers which may not be healthy for your Dog. When your Dog consumes a lot of these fillers, he may feel more tired or worn out because he is not getting the minerals and nutrients he needs.
3. Dogs absorb more nutrients
Do you check your Dog’s poop regularly? Does it smell a lot? Does he poop as much as he eats? If so, this is because your Dog is not able to absorb enough nutrients found in his Food because of all the extenders and fillers. Therefore, he may not be very healthy.
4. Fleas are kept at bay
Fleas and ticks are your Dog’s number one enemy. But if you feed him homemade Food, his blood will be less tasty to these pests.
Though these are just some of the benefits of Homemade Dog Food, a lot of people still argue that there are also certain disadvantages of feeding your Dog with homemade Dog Food such as:
- That it takes a lot of time to prepare
- Having to research on the right ingredients to use and the proportions according to your Dog’s weight, height, and breed.
- Having to experiment with different recipes and choosing which ones your Dogs would love.
These may all be true. But looking at them, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
That is why to overcome these difficulties, here is a rundown of the Top 10 homemade Dog Food recipes will make your Dogs Love You More:
1. Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut Butter is something that a lot of Dogs like and so it is an effective Food for introducing fish oil into your Dog’s diet. Fish oil is very important because it promotes shinier hair for your Dog. But do make sure that when you buy peanut butter, you go for organic peanut butter.
Now, for making your peanut butter cookies:
- Rolled oats (1 cup)
- Honey (1 tablespoon)
- Smooth peanut butter (1/3 cup)
- Fish oil (1/2 tablespoon)
- Wheat or white flour (2 cups)
- Water (1 ½ cups)
To start, you need to preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then:
- In a large mixing bowl, put together the rolled oats and the flour. Mix them and then add just 1 cup of water. Continue mixing it until it is smooth.
- Slowly add in the honey, peanut butter and fish oil. Mix it until everything is incorporated into the mixture. Then put in the remaining half cup of water and mix altogether. Continue doing this until you reach a doughy or thick consistency.
- Get a baking pan and slightly flour it to prevent the dough from sticking to the pan. Take small amounts of dough and roll it onto the baking pan. You may also use cookie cutters to create unique shapes.
- Put this in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
After taking the pan out, make sure to let it cool before giving it to your Dog.
2. Chicken Jerky
Treats are a good thing for your Dogs. They not only contain nutrients but they also keep your Dog busy for a while. Instead of buying those commercial Dog treats, the Chicken Jerky is a good alternative because it is made of chicken which is good for the muscle structure of your Dog due to its rich protein content.
About 4 chicken breasts, depending on how many Dogs you have.
To start, preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make sure to remove the skin and any fat from your chicken to make sure your Dog is only eating healthy chicken.
- With a paring knife, turn your chicken on its side and start slicing it into strips of about 1/8 inch thick.
- On a baking sheet, lay your strips and bake in the oven for 2 hours.
- After two hours, check the chicken strips and make sure that they are not chewy and soft. The right consistency should be dry and hard. When you have achieved this, take the baking sheet out of the oven and let it cool for several minutes.
- Place these chicken strips in an air-tight container and store in the fridge. You can safely store it for up to 2 weeks.
If you want a vegan version of this for optimum healthy Dog treats, you can use sweet potatoes instead of chicken.
3. Frozen Yogurt Pops for Dogs
Dogs love to play catch or chase. So when your Dog likes to play with you, you can substitute the ball or stick or ice cubes with our Frozen Yogurt Pops for Dogs. When they taste it, they would be begging you for more. What is good about these frozen treats is that they contain healthy ingredients like carrots and fruit juice. Plus, you need to use non-fat yogurt as it is healthier especially for overweight Dogs.
- Minced carrots (1/2 cup)
- Plain non-fat frozen yogurt (6 oz.)
- Fruit juice, no sugar added (1 cup)
- In a large mixing bowl, put in all the ingredients and mix well. Make sure everything is well-blended and are incorporated into the mixture.
- Using an ice tray, take the mixture by spoonful and drop into the ice cube tray.
- Freeze the mixture.
Now, you are ready to play with your Dog.
4. Vegetable and Fruit Strips
If you don’t like to buy the commercial Dog treats, then this is the perfect and healthier option. It is good to use as a training reward for your Dog as well. Its juice and fruits are rich in Vitamin C which is good for your Dog’s immune system.
- Water (1/3 cup)
- Rolled oats (1 cup)
- Whole wheat or white flour (2 cups)
- Unsweetened apple sauce, preferably organic (1/2 cup)
- Minced carrots (1 cup)
- 1 banana, medium size
- 1 sweet potato, small size
- Begin by cooking the sweet potato for 8 to 10 minutes in the microwave. Make sure that the insides are soft. When cooked, set aside and let it cool.
- The oven should be preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, put together the banana and sweet potato and mash them with a hand masher or a fork. Then, put in the rolled oats, flour, and carrots. Mix them together. Take the apple sauce and water and slowly add them into the mixture while constantly mixing it.
- When the mixture reaches a doughy consistency, roll it onto a cooking surface that has been lightly drizzled with flour. The dough should be 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut the dough to make strips and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
If your Dog has left overs, you can store it in the fridge for up to two weeks. The good thing about this treat is that it is just tough enough to allow you to cut them into bite size treats and use as a reward for your Dog during training.
5. Vegetable and Beef Balls
- Water (1 cup)
- Dry milk (2 cups)
- Whole wheat or white flour (1 cup)
- Vegetable and beef baby Food, preferably organic (2 6oz. jars)
Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, put all of the ingredients together and mix well.
- With just a spoon, drop a spoonful of the mixture onto a baking sheet.
- Bake and wait 12 to 15 minutes.
- After taking the baking sheet out of the oven, let it cool first before giving to your Dog. You can store your leftovers in the fridge but let your Dog consume it in 5 days.
6. Homemade Dinner Made of Chicken for Dogs
The good thing about homemade Dog Food is that you can just toss into it anything that you think will add taste to the dish or anything that’s healthy for your Dog. So in this recipe, we will be using chicken as its white meat is healthy and really good for your Dog. Plus, we are adding in some vegetables which are, of course, very good. You can slice the veggies anyway you want, whether you mince them or just dice them up into small bits. You don’t need to worry if your Pet will not eat it because he will especially if the recipe has the perfect taste.
Some vets recommend raw diet for Dogs and that is totally okay. However, you must be sure to get the really fresh meat to make sure it is safe to eat for your Dog. But for this dish, you will have to cook the chicken.
- Olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Whole eggs (you can cook it or use it raw) (5 pieces)
- Spinach (2 cups)
- Apples (2 pieces, skinned)
- Red cabbage (2 cups) sliced into thin strips
- Chicken (5 pounds)
As for the chicken, you don’t have to be expensive. You can buy the whole chicken or just the breast. But you can also use the liver, heart and gizzard. Little do people know that these parts are nutritious too.
- Slice up the chicken into smaller parts. You can cube it or dice it or just chop it into smaller bits.
- Get a large bowl and put the chicken in along with the water. Bring it to a boil and let the chicken cook. Do not overcook so it doesn’t become too tender. Lower the fire and let it simmer while you add in the apples, spinach, and cabbage that have been sliced into smaller parts as well. Let it continue to simmer to let the chicken cook thoroughly.
- Take the pot and let it cool on the table. When it is cool enough, add in the olive oil and raw eggs. Finish by stirring.
This batch is enough supply for your Dog depending on his size and the number of times he gets fed everyday. For a large Dog, you can feed him about 2 cups. If there are leftovers, you can place it in an airtight container and place it in the fridge. Make sure everything goes away within 5 days.
7. Fish Dinner for Dogs
If you think only cats like to eat, or be fed, fish, then you are absolutely wrong. Your Dogs are also fond of fish and if you cook it in a special way, he will surely devour every drop of the dish. Plus, fish is known to have Omega 3 which is good for animals’ heart (even us humans!) and helps them have a shinier coat. However, watch out if your Dog starts to itch because some of them may develop allergies to fish. When that happens, see a veterinarian immediately.
This next recipe will surely make your Dog drool as he waits for dinner.
- Brown or white rice (1 cup) you may substitute this with oatmeal or lentils, all of them cooked
- Vegetables, diced (3 cups) you can choose which vegetables you want to use but suggestions include green beans, kale, peas, cabbage, and squash.
- Whole eggs (3 pieces) you may use it raw or cooked
- Pink salmon (1 or 2 cans, depending on how much fish you want to use)
- Fish fillets (2 pounds) you can choose the variety, it doesn’t have to be the expensive kind
Begin by dicing or grinding the fish. Put this in a pot with water to cook.
- When the fish is cooked, add in the vegetables and let it boil.
- For about 5 to 7 minutes, allow the mixture to reduce to a simmer. Then, add the rest of the ingredients and mix them together.
- Take the pot from the stove and let it cool.
You can store this dish for up to 3 days in the fridge. Make sure to place it in an airtight container.
8. Dog’s Favorite Homemade Beef Dinner
- Brown or white rice or lentils (5 cups)
- Mixed veggies (3 cups)
- Beef, ground (or turkey) (10 pounds)
- Whole eggs (10 pieces, cooked or raw)
There are two ways that you can make this recipe. First, you can sauté the rice along with the beef in a large pot. Then you can add the water. After the mixture comes to a boil, you can add in the mixed vegetables and egg and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Second way of cooking it is by cooking the rice and vegetables together. When they are soft enough to roll, roll them into balls and deep fry in oil at 400 degrees.
You can store these meatballs for up to 5 days but make sure to store it in the fridge.
9. Homemade Dinner Dessert for your Doggy
Who says only people can enjoy desserts? As a matter of fact, even your furry friend can enjoy fruit desserts sparingly (I say sparingly because too much of it can cause diarrhea). However, you need to know the right kind of fruit in order to make sure that they enjoy their dessert. Citrus fruits are not your Dog’s usual favorite and they should not have grapes at all. That is why for this recipe, we will use blueberries. Take note, though, that this is not just a dessert as it is also a dinner in one!
- Cooked brown or white rice (3 cups)
- Fruits, diced (3 cups) this could be a combination of pitted cherries, melons, pears, apples, and berries
- Chicken, chopped (2 pounds)
This may well be the easiest dinner dessert you can give your Dog. You simply have to combine the fruits, cooked rice, and chicken and you already have a nice treat for your Dog. You save a lot of time while being able to serve your Pet a delicious dinner plus dessert.
10. Birthday cake for your Dog
Again, who says only you can enjoy a birthday cake or any cake for whatever occasion? Your Dog will surely appreciate one on his natal day. He may not understand what it means but he will surely love what he is going to have. But even if it’s his birthday or not, giving him a cake will surely make him love you more.
So here is how to make that birthday cake.
- Baking powder (1 1/2 tsp)
- Rolled oats or polenta (1/3 cup)
- Flour (1/3 cup)
- Soft cream cheese (125 grams)
- Vegetable oil (4 tsp)
- Yogurt( ¼ cup)
- Honey (30 ml)
- Egg (1 large)
- Chicken minced (500 grams)
- Garlic powder (1/2 tsp)
- Biscuits for Dogs
Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a large mixing bowl and mix together the dry ingredients. Create a small well in the middle then slowly add in the honey, egg, oil, yogurt, and chicken. Stir to mix.
- Prepare a greased tin for baking and line this with a little grease. Pour the mixture into the pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or if you think the chicken is already done, try to insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, then the cake is done. Remove from the oven.
- Remove the cake and place in a cake rack to cool.
- Decorate with the cream cheese and add the Dog biscuits for more design.
11. Calcium-filled Food for Dogs
As you may already know, calcium is very important for bone building and stronger teeth. And this is something that your Dog needs as well. Skip the Dog Food you see at the grocery stores and just give him calcium rich Food that you, yourself, make and be assured of feeding your Dog healthy Food.
- You can choose between beef or chicken (500 grams) minced and cooked
- Cheddar cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
- Crushed vitamin for Dog (1 piece)
- Bonemeal (3 tsp)
- Vegetable oil (1/4 cup)
- Dry breadcrumbs (1/2 cup)
- Brown rice or oatmeal (4 cups)
- Sauté the meat in a pan placed over medium heat. Stir constantly then remove the pan from the heat.
- Add in the other ingredients and alternate with water. Make sure the water is just enough to keep the mixture from having too much crumbs.
- Let it cool.
You can serve this to your Dogs immediately after it cools or you can store this in an airtight container in the fridge for a week. If you place it in the freezer, you can store it for up to 1 month.
12. Rice and Chicken Dinner for Dogs
It is always recommended to give your Dogs a balanced meal of carbohydrates and protein and vitamins in between. This next recipe gives you just that; plus, it allows you to save some dollars for using simple and easy to find ingredients.
- Cottage cheese fat free (500 grams)
- Vitamin for Dogs (1 piece)
- Cooked Brown rice or cooked oatmeal (1 ½ cups)
- Chicken (1.4 kgs)
- Cook the chicken in any way you want. But it is preferred that you bake, poach or put in the microwave until it is thoroughly cooked.
- Let this cool and then slice into small bits or simply dice it. Take out the bones. Make sure to save the juices in the pan as this can be used as stock for the soup.
- Put in a large bowl the oatmeal or brown rice and then the chicken. Add the crumbled vitamin. Lastly, fold into the mixture the cottage cheese. Make sure it is drained before it is added into the mixture.
- Serve. If there are leftovers, you can store this in the fridge in an airtight container for about a week or so.
13. Salad for Dogs
- Vegetable oil (1/4 cup)
- Plain yogurt (1/4 cup)
- Brown rice, cooked (1/3 cup)
- Raw carrots, grated (1 cup)
- Prepare two bowls. In one bowl, put together the rice and the carrots. Set this aside. In the second bowl, put together the salad oil and yogurt. Then add this mixture to the one in the first bowl and toss.
- Serve to your Dog. About ¼ cup a day is enough but be sure to serve it along with meals or treats.
- Put the rest in a covered container and store in the fridge. It can be stored for up to 3 days.
The Bottom Line
You see, Homemade Food for Dogs is actually very healthy for your Pet.
It does not only ensure that he is eating clean and healthy Food but it also makes him a happier Dog.
Remember that if your Dog is happy, you are happy too.